>After our record attempt our 24 hours lasting thread about congratulations to the KDE 4.2 release is slowly coming to an end. Did we meet our target of 2000 posts? No… As of now we are at 370 posts… Well, we still have it open to finally come to 420 posts, that would be cool.
But let me sum up:
– When i first time entered the forum yesterday, i noticed people already trying to do posts in this particular forum… (it was ~10:00 UTC). Luckily we decided to wait with opening it till the official release announcement arrives. 🙂
– Unfortunately we found out that the new Dot is hosted right on the same server with us… That made us a bit worried about server load etc, since the new Dot as well as our Release Party was meant to arrive at the same time. And both are known for high traffic on such days. Well, as most of you probably saw… it put the server to it’s knees. Some issues were tested out before by us: First, we really need a better caching system for the forum! Second, we also found some possible performance issues on the Dot, that also gets the server to its knees. This will be examined.
– Our normal user visit statistics were ~50 users on the forum. Since the beginning of the day it kept increasing and was already twice the normal when the release announcement came out.
So how did it go:
– Overall impressive, there really was not much need for moderation since all comments were very positive (actually i remember only one comment that was more some sort of a trolling than constructive). And I swear, we didn’t cheat Wink We have logs to prove that! So developers, visit the thread and feel warmly thanked by the users.
– Some users even stated they waited the whole day just to be the first one to congratulate… Nice, i love this community!
– Although we set up the congrats thread to allow posts from guests, we noticed a slight increase in user registrations.
– But we topped it all when someone from our forum team finally wanted to “stress test” our poor server so OhReally slashdotted this event… 😀 That was the point where the server REALLY went on it’s bloody knees… Happened to be the moment when i just restarted my DE on my main account to the shiny new release, what took me about 2 minutes. And returning to the forum showed me 200 users online… short after that 500 (~150 before being slashdotted). Finally we hit a new milestone with 651 users simultaneously online.
– Did i mention that this thread needed only 1 hour to have over 500 visits?
– Now after the day we have topped every other thread so far. Most replies (370 in 24 hours), most visits (>24 000 since it started), and user load still higher than normal. Really really nice.
– Putting that on Slashdot also gave us more than 380 comments over there.
Ok, we are far from our supposed number of 2000 posts but it was worth a try. And after it now settled down, we should again concentrate on the Klassrooms. New contributors are waiting.
I am wondering what we can do for the KDE 4.3 Release… 😉
>Maybe everybody already heard about the shiny new 4.2 release, and maybe even more people are already using it in the RC version, like myself.
But this event needs to be celebrated even more! Unfortunately not everybody of us can attend one of the release parties all over the globe. So we, the team of the KDE forum, decided to add something to the release parties…
We believe that this release is a milestone in KDE development, so we decided to open the forum (at least in a part) to the whole world. Yes, you read it right, not even a registration is needed. We will open a thread just the day 4.2 will be released and it will be open for 24 hours. And there you can write whatever you want to write about the new release.
Of course, to overcome some sort of trolling, we will moderate very new post, but of course every constructive criticism is welcome.
NOTE: This thread will be ONLY about the 4.2 release, no talk about present releases.
And along with that we want to crack a milestone: Can it be possible to have 2000 posts in one thread in 24 hours on this forum?
We believe it is possible 😉
So please stay with us and show us it is really possible, that this release will be the most talked about release ever!
>So finally LinuxIsInnovation’s blog got added to Planet KDE and he also blogged about the starting of the Klassrooms and our new Developers User Group.
But this led to many work for me 😉 Every user needs to be confirmed. And every user one by one needs to be changed to have the new group badget as default on their profile. Sadly only possible in the backend, means, only admins can do that.
Now all the developers want to have this nice badget on their profile and the additional stars. I guess, “Junior Member” is not enough. 😀
Additionally, after i announced the first Kourse on the Forum, we only have one seat out of five left. So whoever still wants to attend, do it fast!
But of course, you can also watch everything happening and maybe attend to the next Kourse. Two of them are already in the queue. So stay tuned!
>As the title says, this weekend we will start with our first klassroom.
Our mentor msoeken will provide a kourse about fixing 5 bugs in KSnapshot, not big ones. So it should be fairly easy to get your feets wet.
Of course you should already bring along some C++ knowledge, the rest can be discussed. Best is take a look at the Qt Docs or KDE Techbase before the kourse starts.
The number of participants is limited to 5 persons, so be sure to check out the announcement and reply to it as soon as you can, so you get subscribed to the students group.
This is just our first step into getting people to contribute to KDE. We hope this works out. Feedback is always welcome.
>Everyone driving a forum knows the problem: spammers.
Though i must say we are doing pretty good at that, we have not many problems with them.
But today night one of these showed up again. So i thought about reCaptcha II support for your forum, as Sayak has made me aware of that.
And i thought i should give it a try. Well, now it is implemented, we will see, if it slows down the spam account registration a bit more.
In other news, we now have a User forum for the nice Eigen library, see here.
This forum is moderated by one the lead developers, so you can be sure to get really nice user support.
>I have now added a new subforum on forum.kde.org. The reason behind this was that the board statistics show a big tendency into the discussions forum.
People seem to like to discuss everything around KDE. But we didn’t have a place for general chit-chat discussion. So what to do?
Viola! The KDE Café is now born! (Besides that we already have that on IRC…)
But as always, we still have to honor the Code of Conduct, so we will not accept any disrespectful posts.
Nevertheless, have fun with it.
>So this will be my first blog entry. So let me introduce myself.
I am one of the admins on the new KDE Forum, and obviously i am a true supporter of this Desktop Environment and set of applications.
More posts will follow.