As some of you might already have read, it was time again to find those parts of KDE which projects would need some more love. We (the CWG team) requested input from responsible parties to let us know which those projects are. Now, after 2 weeks we are now sadly announcing those, but on the other hand we are eager to see any help coming in.
So, without any particular order, those are the projects reported to us:
- The maintainers of several games are inactive, so bug reports pile up. On the code side, KSirk should be ported to Telepathy from its own Jabber implementation to reduce code complexity. Helping hands are also desired in updating the GGZ libraries, which enable networked multiplayer games.
contact firstname.lastname@example.org or majewsky at gmx.net
- php, css, html coders needed to maintain kde website infrastructure
- all kinds of help – The only active maintainer is just trying to plug the crashes and doesn’t have as much time as he did. He needs someone who can help w/ bug reports/websites/review patches/testing/etc. No great knowledge of terminals needed for general help. However, he could use anyone who knows terminals and has time for C++ coding
email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions
- many kinds of help – translations, updating screenshots, adding how-to info, volunteers to undertake agreed maintenance work, adopting specific pages and maintaining them.
contact annew on #kde-www or email@example.com
KDE on Windows
- there are lots of 3rd-party dependencies missing. Also, a lot of applications need Windows-specific bits of code.
KDE on Mac
- almost the same as KDE on Windows
- Development:: – KTouch and Kiten are unmaintained, KTouch is a priority while Kiten mlight be scheduled to disapear.
- Extract KVTML editor from Kanagram and make it a lib so it could also be included in KHangMan
- See if it’s possible to merge KHangMan and Kanagram in one app: first think of a common UI design.
- QML use in kdeedu
- Promo, website: We need more promo work following Code-In submissions: link videos from each app web page, open a page on the website with promo material (logo, usage of logo, t-shirt logo, videos, flyer…)
- Artwork: Lots of Oxygen icons are missing (app icons, action icons), we need a list of them.
Contact:kde-edu mailing list (firstname.lastname@example.org) and email@example.com
Contact:: plasma mailing list (firstname.lastname@example.org) and email@example.com
- website updates, bugfixing, testing, integration with the rest of KDE
firstname.lastname@example.org and/or email@example.com, #kde-accessibility on irc
- Mostly the same as the last call for arms: they need maintainers for applications such as KFloppy, kdf, sweeper and ktimer (or maybe those could just be removed once and for all). More hands are also needed in Ark and KGpg (dakon published a blog post some time ago about how he wasn’t very motivated to work on it).
Contact the mailing list (firstname.lastname@example.org) or me directly (rakuco on Freenode, kubito at gmail)
If you ask me personally, this list is even too long with only one item, this is far too big. So this is your chance to get involved and get maaany kudos for helping out in one of those areas. If you think your skills could fit or if you are just interested what those tasks would involve just take the necessary step and use the contact details.
Do us a favour and let’s reduce this list to zero!